Modern Canton Township
Today’s Canton is largely a residential community offering all types of housing from quaint condominiums to estate homes on large lots … and everything in between. The three-mile stretch of Ford Road in Canton is home to countless stores and diverse restaurants for every taste. Canton is easily accessible from I-275, I-94, Ford Road and Michigan Avenue and is conveniently located just 20-minutes from Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
Canton Township: Grounded in Community
Back in 1834 when Canton Township was incorporated, it was a farming community known as the “Sweet Corn Capital”. Even today, as Michigan’s 11th largest community, the western edge of Canton is farmland and maintains its sense of history and connection with the land.
Great Local Schools
Canton is one of the best areas around for families and is serviced by Plymouth-Canton Community Schools, Van Buren Public Schools, and Wayne-Westland Public Schools in addition to multiple private schools and public charter schools.
Nature and Community in Canton
Canton is dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of wetlands and aquatic habitats. The Lower Rouge River Trail is a great opportunity to enjoy nature in the area. Canton also hosts many wonderful events throughout the calendar year, including:
- Concerts in the open-air amphitheater at Heritage Park and other venues
- World-class sports facilities including Canton Sports Center, High Velocity Sports, Arctic Edge Ice Arena, which is home to Olympic gold medal winning skaters
- Canton is home to the annual Canton Cup soccer tournament, which is held at multiple outdoor fields in the township, as well as many USSSA baseball tournaments every year
- A “nearly” year-round farmer’s market
- Music, live theater, fine art displays and community events at the stunning Village Theater at Cherry Hill
- Countless programs for every age at the Canton Public Library
- State-of-the-art fitness and recreational facilities at Summit on the Park and Lifetime Fitness
- The only IKEA store in Michigan
- Incredible golfing at Pheasant Run Golf Course and Fellows Creek Golf Course